Thursday, May 18, 2006

Come To Korea: Our Students Are The Most Violent

I've noticed something here in Korea, although I'm afraid to say it. The students here are very violent towards eachother. They spend their days punching eachother in the arms, in the middle of the back. They slap eachother. They kick eachother. They pinch eachother. And they do it HARD. I see it and I think "ouch, careful, I bruise."

Now, I have an idea behind this violence. I've noted before that Korean students are more emotionally immature than their U.S. counterparts. I've seen 19 year old girls playing with the type of toys in class that you have to take away from 6th grade girls in the U.S. Guys here get so excited about saying a bad word, whereas bad words are just part of the vernacular in U.S. schools. They're as much a part of English as the word "the."

Now, here is my theory that I've been postulating for a while. So, the violence between the students is very similar to the violence you see between boys and girls that like eachother in elementary school. You know, when a boy hits a girl or pulls her hair to show that he likes her. Or the girl that makes fun of the boy that she secretly has a crush on. This violence is the same thing. My hypothesis is that the violence is their way of expressing fondness for one another. Frankly, I'm certain that my hypothesis is 100% accurate. If you don't believe me, or if you doubt it... come to Korea and see it for yourself.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Dan...you've figured it out! They're not poking at you for no reason! they poke you 'cause they love you!

you're the Candy Man!
sharon