Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Garbage Bags And The Korean Brand of Christianity


















I had to buy garbage bags. The trash was piling up in my kitchen, it was pretty gross. Now, in the US you simply head on off to Walmart or some other less hellbound store and buy some Glaad bags. Not in Korea. Here, you need special specific bags, or the garbage men (whom I have never personally seen) will not take your garbage. Now, I say this with a grain of salt, since there are plent of bags of garbage sitting around that are not in the proper bags. But, I'm a good boy and will follow the rules of this country, wether they pertain to shoes outside the door, Hello Kitty surgical masks, or the proper garbage bags.

Now, I asked people where to get these bags. The answer was never quite clear. I knew that they had them at the ONE place I know how to go in this city, the LG Supermarket. Well, I didn't see them when I went shopping on saturday. So, yesterday I asked Mr. Yoo, the man who drives me to and from work, to go with me to the supermarket to get them. He agreed.

Thank God that he went with me!! First, at the checkout you ask for the bags. You tell them how many (at LG they come in packs of 20), and what size (small, medium, large). Then you pay. When you're done, you take your receipt up to the service counter and pick up your bags. There is no way in hell that I would have been able to do this on my own. Things in Korea are overly complicated. Please note in the pictures, my officially bagged garbage, and then the group of unofficial bags on the curb. Great. By the way, watermelons at the LG are $9.80!! Anyone else find this price high for a small round seedless melon?

As for Christianity... I was unaware that Christianity was so popular in Korea. This city has lots and lots of churches, in fact, my apartment is across the street from a very large church. The churches here are all very large, I have not seen a small local church. The thing that interrests me most though about these churches is this. At the top of every spire, and they all have spires, are large crosses. That isn't out of the ordinary at all. The strangeness begins when night falls. At night, the neon lights turn on and these crosses glow bright red. Fire engine red. Red crosses dot the horizon of the city. This is the tackiest form of Christianity I've seen since Tammy Faye Baker. You would NEVER see this in Howell, let alone in any place I've been in the US. But as they say... to each their own.

No comments: