Monday, June 05, 2006

The Other Other Red Meat

I'm a little down today. On the way into school I noticed for the first time a restaurant with the word "DOG" written on it. Yikes, I know where to go for a hearty dog feast. The thing that bummed me out was the big cage out front with the sad looking German Shephard in it. Now, I understand this whole dog thing. There are dogs for pets, and there are dogs for food. The two lines don't cross. This is no different than a young kid on a farm raising a cow for the fair or being close to a pig (Wilbur). I know this, I understand this. I still can't think about it though. It's not cultural insensitivity, it's my sweet sweet puppy Lucy. She looks at me with her big brown eyes and they're so full of love... that doesn't make me want to eat her with a side of rice. Know what I mean? So, I'm a bit blue today for the poor German Shephard, who wasn't treated kindly in life, and was raised just to be killed and eaten... probably with some spicy sauce.

1 comment:

Helios said...

i'm w/you on that dan...i can't even eat cows because of their big beautiful brown eyes!