Saturday, June 24, 2006

What Are The Odds?

Last night I met Victoria and Beryl at Pizza Hut, which is very expensive as far as pizza goes, it was $48 for us all lastnight, but it's good and reminds us of home. Anyway, on the way back towards town we passed the bus terminal, where you buy your tickets and stuff. By the way, I can now read Korean well enough to read the schedule and a map, so I'm tickled pink. We passed a white woman, I said hello to her. She said something in Russian. What??? So, I started to talk to her in Russian and she broke out in tears. What did I do?

This woman had just gotten in to Korea. She was on her way to meet her husband and had missed the last bus of the evening to get to Icheon. So, I had to help her. She was so upset. This took ages, a good hour to figure out. I found out that she could take a bus to a different city and transfer to a bus to Icheon. She didn't want to do that because that was how she got in this situation in the first place. Eventually with my help, 2 Korean girls, and 2 Mongolian women that spoke Russian, Korean, and German (Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut), we figured out what to do. I took her to a normal bus stop so that she could go to Pyeongtaek and a friend of hers was going to meet her. She was so happy when it was all over. We chatted a bit in Russian. She tried to give me a big bag full of eggs, but I didn't want or need them. She got on the bus and all was good.

By the way, Victoria was so impressed with me speaking Russian to this woman and helping her out. This whole incident took about an hour. It was not how I planned on spending my evening, but I felt so good helping this woman. How can you not help someone who is crying and frustrated and upset? I'm such a saint. I'm going to ride on the dashboard from now on.

1 comment:

Helios said...

Saint Daniel...Patron Saint of the Lost in an Unfamiliar Land!

Yes, you knew exactly how that woman felt... things of which good karma are made....

You're riding on my dashboard from now on ;)