Monday, June 12, 2006

What's The Korean For Monsoon?

Friday, at the end of the day Mr. Yoo informed me that all of the teachers were going to dinner. This was in celebration of my "show class" from monday. This was news to me. I had to call Victoria to cancel our dinner plans. This complete lack of forewarning for EVERYTHING in Korea is so annoying.

We went to a Korean barbecue restaurant. That's where they give you raw meat and you grill it at your table. You wrap the meat in lettuce leaves with some sprouts and eat. It's good, it's not spicy. The only drawback is the sitting on the floor. I did start drinking soju with some of the teachers. Now, soju is THE Korean drink. I'm fairly certain that "soju" is Korean for "rubbing alcohol." But I lived in Russia for a month, I can hold my liquor.

While we were at the restaurant it started to rain. This was a rain of biblical proportions. It was hailing. It was nasty weather. After dinner and numerous bottles of soju, Mr. Yoo took me home. I was feeling no pain. I came home to see that all of my windows were open and there was about an inch of standing water on my floor.

Great. Because I'm so prepared to deal with this, because I have so many things to clean up with. I had one mop, which was more of a dust mop, and my towel. Well, the best I could do was spread the water out in hopes that it would facilitate evaporation.

The water was not gone until late saturday afternoon. It rained all day saturday. I went out, met Victoria. I had to buy a big golf umbrella. $5. It was from the Omar Shariff collection. Who knew that Omar Shariff has a line of clothing and accessories??? Certainly not me. Anyway, this was the beginning of the 6 week long rainy season. I'm prepared now. I close the windows when I leave and I have Omar Shariff to keep me dry. Come on Korea... do your worst.

2 comments:

Helios said...

well, sounds like you're finding decent places to eat! Although those lettuce leaf wraps sound like some kind of low-carb thing! Like when Burger King tried to use lettuce instead of buns! um, what kind of meat was it? (audrey's looking at me....)

sounds like you had a fun evening of soju! what's it made out of, rice, like sake?

hmmm...monsoon season...don't forget your rubbers! ;)

Dan,i miss you!

Daniel Youngs said...

Soju is made from potato as far as I can gather. The lettuce wraps are good. The meat was duck, and then pork ribs. You'd like it.